Thought for Thursday - beautiful or ugly crystals....

Firstly I am so not good at this regular blogging thing. Sometimes I just feel like I have nothing worthwhile to say. This in itself is a miracle as I usually have something to say about most things. But this got me thinking about words and our use of them. Most of us know that age old saying "If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all". I would like to suggest that this saying needs to be modified slightly. I think it should be- "If you don't have anything positive to say then don't say anything at all".

Negativity is so toxic. Usually we don't need much encouragement to start highlighting faults. We all have those people in our lives that are quick to identify the deficiencies in everything or simply gravitate to a 'glass is half empty' mentality. I know that I can all too easily get stuck on that merry-go-round despite my best efforts to not go there.

This week I came across some very fasinating information about the power of words. I discovered the work of Japanesse author Masura Emoto who claims that human speech or thoughts can impact the asthetics of frozen water droplets. Accordng to Emoto if speech or thought is directed at water droplets before they are frozen, the resuting water crystal images will be beautiful or ugly depending upon whether the words or thoughts were positive or negative. His books suggest that positive thoughts (demonstrated through simply sticking typed words to a container, like 'thank you') spoken words, and music all can have amazing effects on waters crystalisation, with exposure to positivity creating beautiful crystals. Now if you google Mr Masura Emoto you will find many references to his work and books. You will also find comments by his critics who challenge the validitiy of his research methods.

I personally do not particularly care if his results were achieved in double blind studies or not, I am facinated however by the notion that nature could demonstrate the power of words in such a tangible way. Even if there is just the smallest bit of truth to his claims, consider with me what that means. If the words spoken over droplets of water truely can impact the types of crystals they become when frozen, what does that mean for the I have spoken and speak?



Do I create beautiful or 'broken' crystals within those around me, because of the words I speak? I know I want to be helping to form ONLY BEAUTIFUL crystals- but am I????????




(This is the image of the crystal that formed after sticking the typed text "Thank You" on the water's container overnight prior to freezing).